Sunday, August 29, 2010

Author Interview with Korika L. Johnson

Today, I welcome Korika Johnson to Urban Christian Fiction Today. Hello Korika. Introduce yourself to my readers.


I am a born-again believer, mother to two beautiful daughters, wife to a wonderful husband, avid reader and Christian fiction writer, and the owner of Toward the Mark Press, LLC, an advertising/design firm.

Tell us about your debut novel, Joy Comes In The Mourning.

Joy Comes in the Mourning follows the story of Tonya Monroe, a young woman who lost her mother at the hands of a drunk driver when she was only 14 years old. Tonya's tragedy was compounded by the revelation that a close family friend, Carolyn Wright, the novel's secondary character, was responsible. Now thirty, Tonya has worked hard to amass her assets: a dream home, a sweet job, a luxury car, and money in the bank. She has beauty, brains, and a body envied by women and adored by men. But what she hasn't had since the death of her mother is peace of mind.

Dealing with the death of a loved one is never easy, no matter how old you are. But nothing could have prepared Tonya for the devastating blow life dealt her in the form of Lupus, or for the shocking secret Carolyn unearths surrounding her mother's death.

Share why you chose to write about LUPUS.

I chose to write about Lupus to raise awareness. Although according to the Lupus Foundation of America, more than 1.5 million Americans have the life-threatening disease, I had absolutely no knowledge of its existence before my diagnosis in 2005. After experiencing first-hand the diseases ravishing health effects, I knew I would write a book. I wanted to use fiction to share the real struggles and challenges in the daily life of a lupus survivor.

What is the spiritual take away from this novel?

I want readers to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that ALL things truly do work together for good of them that love God and are called according to His purpose. God is a God of purpose, and even adversities are meant to strengthen His children. He can turn your mourning into joy...in spite of your circumstances. TRUST AND BELIEVE!

Share a little about your journey to publication.

Several years ago, I sent a manuscript to Denise Stinson with Walk Worthy Press and was told that it was not right for their list. However, she went on to say that she loved my writing style and imagination and would be very interested to see, upon completion, my second novel. Well, by the time I sent the second novel, Walk Worthy had lost their contract with a larger publisher and could not pick me up. I decided that if I was not picked up by a certain month, I would self-publish. One month before my deadline, I was offered a contract by my current publisher.

What was it like to hold your book in your hands for the first time?

I was ecstatic, but it didn't seem real! It wasn't until my book release party that it really hit me that my dream was truly reality.

If you had to go to a solitary place and could only take one Fiction novel, what would it be and why?

Wow! That's a hard one. While I love everything that Tiffany L. Warren has written, I would have to say Victoria Christopher Murray's Joy. After reading Joy, I recognized what my novel that was submitted to Walk Worthy Press was lacking - its foundation. That's when I was led to "do a new thing" and answer my call to write Christian fiction. I would take Joy because I am so encouraged by the story. The main character's love walk should be an example to us all.

I know you to be an avid fiction reader. What’s on your nightstand right now?

My nightstand is literally overflowing. My husband and I have a tradition. Every year for Mother's Day, I get to go book crazy and hit several book sales. Last year, I picked up more than 150 books. This year, I only found about 10 books of interest. One of them was Testimony by Felicia Mason, which I'm currently reading.

Thanks for sharing with us today, Korika. Tell us how we can find you on the Internet.
My website is http://www.korikajohnson.com/ from there a visitor can also connect with me on my social media networks.
Joy Comes In The Mourning can be purchased at Amazon.com and other bookstores such as Barnes and Nobles, Borders and Books-a-Million.

1 comment:

Korika L. Johnson said...

Thanks for having me, Rhonda!