Sunday, January 31, 2010

Interview with T.S. Jones, author of Everything But The Ring


Hello T.S. Introduce yourself to my readers?
Hello Everyone! I am T.S. Jones, debut author of Everything But The Ring.  I am a Georgia native and have been residing in the Atlanta area for the past six years, where I work as an Educator.  My passion is being an inspiration through a lifestyle of service, and using my gifts of writing, speaking, and mentoring. I am so grateful for the connection that I made back in 2008 with my publisher Dwan Abrams of Nevaeh Publishing, who enabled me to make my dreams of publication a reality with the publication of my first novel Everything But The Ring.  Writing is near and dear to my heart and has been apart of who I am it seems since I learned how to put pen to paper. I am a faithful journal writer, with entries dating back to when I was ten years old. For most of my life writing has proven to be therapeutic and an opportunity for me to create my own world through my characters. I am thankful that God answered my prayer of revealing my life’s purpose to me after many years of seeking direction. As an Educator and writer, everyday presents new opportunities for me to serve as a source of encouragement and inspiration.
Your novel has a great title. Tell us about Everything But the Ring.
Thanks Rhonda! Everything But The Ring is the journey of three women who seem to have Everything But the Ring! They are talented, career-oriented, attractive women living in Atlanta who have yet to secure the title of “Mrs.”  As they come to terms with turning thirty, these long-time friends devise their own unique approaches for how they plan to achieve their goal of gaining a marriage proposal and taking the walk down the aisle that their hearts desire.  One of the main themes is which would you choose, love or financial security? Cynthia’s main priority is having financial security, while maintaining a life jacket philosophy which deems keeping something extra on the side as the only way to protect herself against heartbreak.  Her friends Sheila and Patrice hold fast to their beliefs in true love and are not supporters of Cynthia’s philosophy until they find themselves in relationships that challenge their faith in love.
Very interesting. What inspired this novel?
I was inspired to write this story as a result of my own personal experiences during the time I have spent as a single woman living in Atlanta. In addition, I have heard countless stories shared by friends and acquaintances about the struggles and triumphs they have had within relationships. I wanted to create a story that addressed the obstacles many individuals face within the dating scene during their search for true love. I particularly wanted to give focus to the challenges Christians experience with balancing their spiritual beliefs with their desires for companionship.
What has the feedback been like; from men and women?
The feedback from both men and women has been extremely positive. My desire was that both male and female readers would find the story engaging and be inspired to search within to resolve the issues that may serve as barriers to developing healthy relationships. Several male readers have given me kudos for showing both perspectives of dating and providing positive male characters within my novel. Many women have expressed that they were able to relate to the characters and scenarios presented within the novel and were encouraged to re-examine some of the decisions they were making within their relationships. 
What advice do you have for singles who desire to get married?
As a single woman, one of the most important lessons that I’ve learned is the necessity of seeking God’s direction in every area of my life.  I would suggest that singles who desire to get married first strive to heal from past wounds, and truly identify their wants and needs within a relationship. I would also recommend using this season of singleness as an opportunity to identify and live a life of purpose. Being single can be a wonderful journey, and in the process it can develop the internal wholeness that provides singles with the capacity to someday serve as a compliment to their future mates. 
T.S. I see you are beating the bushes for marketing and promotion opportunities. I think it’s wonderful that you’re working so hard to get your  work in front of readers. Tell us what you’ve found to be most effective in getting your book out.
I have developed quite a following through serving as a guest on multiple Blog Talk Online Radio Broadcasts. These interviews have enabled me to reach audiences across the country that I may have otherwise failed to connect with. In addition to these broadcasts, I have found that connecting with other authors such as you, has opened the doors to me learning about print, media, and other opportunities for marketing and promoting. There’s also nothing like good ole word of mouth, and my wonderful Grandmother who has been my number one promoter!
You’re an educator, an author and an active member of your church. How do you balance it all? What tips do you have for aspiring writers?
Honestly, some days maintaining balance is a challenge. I have found that setting quiet time aside for prayer and meditation, as well as spending quality time with family and friends are a necessity for achieving balance. I am also encouraged by the multitude of people who are trying to balance the load that I carry with having children, a spouse, and multiple other obligations. When I look at my life in comparison, I am left with very few excuses for not fulfilling the demands of my day to day life.
What would you like readers to take away from Everything But the Ring?
I would like each reader to understand the importance of developing wholeness individually as a means to building a successful relationship. I hope that through the characters presented that readers will see the importance of having a heart of giving within relationships versus focusing on having superficial desires, or emotional needs met that should never be another person’s responsibility to fulfill.
Tell us about your next project.
I am currently working on the sequel to Everything But The Ring, and plan to have it completed within the coming months.
What upcoming events would you like to share.
On February 17th at 10:00pm (est) I will be serving as a guest on The Relationship Playbook, to discuss Everything But The Ring, and to address many topics relating to love and relationships. Anyone who is interested in tuning into this broadcast can do see by clicking the following link.  www.blogtalkradio.com/theplaybook/2010/02/04/everything-but-the-ring-1  
I am also looking forward to having a book signing at Berean Christian Bookstore here in Atlanta on April 3rd from 3-6. I would like to personally invite everyone who is in the Atlanta area during this time to come out to show your support!
Where can readers find you on the Internet?
I can be found online at www.tsjonesinspires.com, www.twitter.com/TSJonesInspires, and www.facebook.com/tsjonesinspires . I have also created a blog dedicated to a twelve month focus to self-discovery and personal development. Those who are interested in joining me can do so by following me at www.tsjonesinspires.blogspot.com. Everything But The Ring is available online at www.tsjonesinspires.com, www.nevaehpublishing.com , www.amazon.com, as well as www.barnesandnoble.com

4 comments:

Author and Inspirational Speaker T.S. Jones said...

Rhonda, thank you so much for providing such a wonderful interview! You have truly blessed me with your love and support!! I wish you continued success with "Secrets And Lies" and every additional bestseller that follows!!!

- T.S. Jones

Vanessa A. Johnson said...

Hi Ms. Jones,
Love the title of the book. I wish you much success on your first release.

Unknown said...

I'm currently reading Everything But the Ring now and I am enjoying it immensely. Although I am married, I can certainly relate to the ladies in the book. Also the characters are so relateable that I feel like I know them. Great book, Tabitha, and many blessings to you!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad to see Tabitha on your blog, Rhonda, especially since I just bought her book this past weekend. Great interview, ladies!