Sunday, October 25, 2009

Interview with Pat G’Orge-Walker


Today I welcome a multi-published author, Pat G'Orge-Walker to the spotlight at Urban Christian Fiction Today. I met Pat at the Faith and Fiction Retreat this past summer in Orlando. After hearing her publication journey, I knew I had to share this sister's work with the world. I also became intrigued with her new novel, Somebody's Sinning In My Bed. It did not disappoint.
Pat, please introduce yourself to my readers.I’m an Essence Best Selling Author published by Kensington/Dafina Books, recipient of the 2007 AALBS Humor Award, 2004/2005 American Gospel Award; 2000 Gold Pen, and 2003 Elmont Woman of Distinction, as well as other awards exhibited on my website. I am also Pat G’Orge-Walker known to many as Christian Comedienne Sister Betty. I’ve had several careers which include singing with the legendary Arlene Smith & the Chantels, acting and writing screenplays and plays. I’ve also worked promotions for Epic, Columbia and Def Jam Records. I am also a wife, mother of three, grandmother of fourteen and great grandmother of five. I’m also in the process of deciding what I want to be when I grow up J
Tell us about your latest release Somebody’s Sinning In My Bed. My latest novel is Somebody’s Sinning In My Bed. This story is  based upon the Biblical story from St. John 8: 3-11; a woman caught in the very act of adultery. It was church folks that dragged her from that bed and attempted to stone her. I placed her in the twenty-first century and dragged the man into the fray. Why should he get away with it? The reader will hopefully learn that when you are forgiven by God there’s no need for a second opinion. And one should never think lesser of themselves than God does.
You have several other novels. Share a little about them. Is Somebody’s Sinning a sequel to either one? My first novel published by a major publisher was “Sister Betty! God’s Calling You, Again.” Sister Betty hasn't been the same since God called her on the phone back in '84. A devoted member of Ain't Nobody Right But Us—All Others Goin' to Hell Church, she's always looking after the welfare of her fellow congregants. It's a big job, considering they're none too good at looking after themselves—or each other.
“Mother Eternal Ann Everlastin’s Dead”… Sister Betty barely has a minute to sit and fan herself before she's off on another "Mission from God." Her friend Mother Eternal Ann Everlastin' has dropped dead on her seventy-first birthday from an overdose of York Peppermint Pattie, and it's up to Sister Betty to see to her final wishes, namely, traveling to a Baltimore religious conference to deliver three one-million dollar checks to three different mega-church pastors.
“Cruisin’ On Desperation” The ladies of the Oh Lawd, Why Am I Still Single singles ministry devise a way to get payback from Lyon Lipps while improving their chances of meeting men at the same time. They're going cruising aboard the aptly named ship, Desperation of the Seas. And they're planning to trick Lyon into sailing along with them by making him the lucky "winner" of a free ticket.
“Somewhat Saved” From Publishers Weekly…  In the latest loving church spoof from G'Orge-Walker (Sister Betty! God's Calling You, Again!), Sister Betty and her fellow evangelists get shipped off to Las Vegas to attend the evangelical Mothers Conference. After Betty and her two nemeses, Mother Sasha Pray Onn and Mother Bea Blister (about whom the Reverend Bling thinks to himself Doggone Alzheimer's gonna make those two old crones destroy my place of business), arrive with much hullabaloo, Bea spots someone she recognizes but can't place. The narrative then shifts to Zipporah, a beautiful homeless woman, and G'Orge-Walker expertly balances touching emotion with the ladies' antics as Zipporah gets a job that eventually leads her to the ladies and learns some things about herself in the process. Bickering, gambling and comeuppance are all on the agenda as the crew, far from the Pelzer, S.C., parish whence they came, negotiate Sin City. (Apr.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Pat your novels have "scream out loud" humor in them, which I have observed comes naturally for you. Tell us how the funny stuff shows up?  When you are a PK(Preacher’s Kid); my mother was a Pentecostal/COGIC Evangelist/pastor. My father was a Baptist preacher/pastor. Combine all the years I’ve spent as an entertainer and as a part of the entertainment industry with my PK upbringing and it was either “humor” or “do time.” On another note, God gave me a sense of humor and I refuse to give it to the devil. J
What do you want readers to take away from a Pat G’Orge-Walker novel? I always want the reader to take away a Bible-based lesson along with the ability to laugh. Laughter is like a good medicine. Ultimately, I want the reader to learn that there’s no honesty in saying you love God, Whom you’ve never seen; and then not loving your fellow man/woman, who you can see.
I asked Pat a few personal questions and she answered as follows:
Favorite scripture: Jeremiah 29:11
Favorite dessert: Lawd, help my gut and hips… but it’s a “deep-deep dish peach cobbler.” I don’t care if it only has two slices of a peach in it as long as it’s got the syrup and the dough…this is so sad L
If you were a crayon in coloring box, which one would you be? I love the color green in all its various shades.
If you could spend one hour with someone living or deceased, who would it be and why? I would definitely love to spend an hour with my mother. I’d want to discuss her non-stop prayer life and whether or not she was/is proud of what I do. And, what does she know or has learned on the other side of the grave that she could share with me. And then, of course, there are things that I’d like to chat about that I’m not about to put in print J

If you had to go to a solitary place and could only take one novel that you didn’t write, what would it be and why? I would love to take the novel “Their Eyes Were Watching God.” There is something inexplicable that happens to me when I read that novel. My imagination and psyche puts me right there on the sidelines of the story. I laugh, I cry, I become angry and I’m exhausted by the end of the novel. My emotions just run amok and I love that. Of course, if I couldn’t find my copy of that novel then the next choice would definitely be “Sugar,” by Bernice McFadden.

What’s next for Pat G’Orge-Walker? I am currently working on my next novel, “Don’t Blame The Devil.” In this novel Deacon Thurgood Pillar returns from “Somebody’s Sinning In My Bed.” It won’t be pretty but it will be funny. J I’m also working on an online Sit-Com.  “The chURch Nuttz.” It’s the Nuttz family and they’ve started their own church and their tenets, based upon a Bible they’ve purchased from the Dollar Store, get them into all sorts of messes. J And, of course, I’m still out and about performing my One Woman comedy shows.
How can my readers find you on the Internet? I invite the readers to visit:  www.sisterbetty.com   www.patgorgewalker.com   or email: pat248@aol.com and I’m on Facebook everyday.
Thanks for stopping by Pat. It was great to have you!

No comments: