Thursday, September 03, 2009

Book Clubs and Skype - A good idea I think...

Ah, technology. Don't you just love it? Most of the time. Sometimes I hunger for the good old days when we didn't have as much, but alas those days are gone.

How do you balance what technology is good for you and what's not? I say by not trying it all at once. Try new things a little at a time and really analyze whether or not it's right for you. For example, I signed up for Twitter and I added the text message notification component. Those text messages were coming in every minute or so and I didn't even have many followers. Let's not even talk about the ones that happened at 2 a.m. when people were still awake tweeting. So I learned quickly that I could change my settings and chose who I wanted messages from. I scaled back to about 10 tweeters, still too invasive. Guess what? I changed my settings for no text messages. I enjoy Twitter much more.

As a new author, I recently found out about a technology that I'm pretty excited about. It's called SKYPE. SKYPE is a video call service and it's free. Both users have to have a webcam, but you chat face to face in real time. Kind of like the old Jetson's cartoon. (For those of you who are old enough to remember The Jetsons).

This technology makes it easy for bookclubs to meet with their favorite authors. With the economy being what it is, travel budgets have been cut for authors, but readers still need that personal touch. Readers still want those thoughtful discussions about books that include the author. So it looks like SKYPE is a winner. I'm hearing great things about. I look forward to giving it a try when Secrets and Lies debuts - November 24th!

Here's how you get it set up. Reposted from Christian Fiction Blog.

Skype for Bookclubs

No comments: