Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Blessed Thoughts from Iris Celeste


My Father's Business

A close friend of mine and I were discussing an incident that transpired in the Book of Matthew between Jesus and his twelve chosen disciples. Just before The Last Supper Jesus declared that one of them were going to betray him. Of course, they all denied the claim. However, that’s not what shocked me. What caught my attention was not the disciples’ reaction, but Jesus’ response. All along He knew who was going to betray him and when that betrayal would take place…but he changed not! He treated Judas no different from the other eleven. Now how many of us would have responded in the same manner? I know I would have shown all kinda attitude up in there!!! But Jesus did not concern himself with such trivial tactics. He was strictly about his father's business. He refused to take his eyes off the prize and allow anyone or anything deter him from his mission here on earth.

I pray for such dedication and focus. I confess there have been moments when I was doing the right thing, I thought for the right reason but when faced with opposition I allowed it to hurl me off track. But after rereading the message in Matthew it shed some light. What I do for the Lord has nothing to do with popularity, being respected, recognized, neither fame nor fortune. It has absolutely nothing to do with any of those things. In fact, it has nothing to do with me! God selected me as one of His vessels to be used for His glory. Therefore, warfare is expected...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

The devil doesn't want me to reach my goal and though he can't stop what God has already predestined, his objective is to discourage me. He wants to keep me stressed out and distracted enough where I don't have the time or energy to do the work of the Lord. Remember in the desert when he approached Jesus and taunted him in his weariness. But Jesus wasn't fazed nor did he try to tackle the devil in his own strength. He fought back with the word..."it is written, worship the Lord your God and serve Him only." Whether he was confronted with antagonists or entrusted friend, Jesus never diverted from his assignment. Likewise, when assaulted with lies, encounter hurtful accusations or simply misunderstood, do as Jesus did and retaliate with scripture..."did you not know that it is necessary for me to be about my Father's business."

Iris Celeste, Author
http://www.irisceleste.com/





About Iris Celeste

Iris Celeste has always loved the written word and spent endless hours as a child being entertained through books. Writing became her chosen method of expression and with that her debut novel Praise Your Way Through was brought to life, as well as, a collection of her poetry entitled Seasons of Life. Iris also writes a weekly column entitled As a Woman Thinketh for Big Time Publishing Newspaper.

No comments: