Friday, May 22, 2009

Bluford Series for male "tweens"- Grades 6 to 8


Someone asked me about books for males in that tween age. I don't know of anything in Christian fiction, but I do know about the Bluford Series. I purchased the first 13 for my son years ago. Lots of educators use these books in the classroom, and they really are good values based literature. There are 15 books in the series and get this? If you order from the publisher's website it's only $1 per book. I'm not kidding. $15 plus minimal shipping.


Here's a little about the series:

The Bluford Series is a collection of FIFTEEN young adult novels that focus on the lives of a group of high school students and their families. The series draws its name from the school which many of the characters attend: Bluford High, named after Guion "Guy" Bluford, America's first black astronaut.

Set in contemporary urban America, each novel addresses complex topics relevant to the lives of today's students: family, friendship, trust, isolation, violence, and peer pressure, to name a few.
In addition, the books feature male and female characters and include elements from many literary genres, such as mystery, suspense, romance, and a touch of the supernatural. In other words, the Bluford Series offers something for almost every reader.


Check it out by clicking here.

4 comments:

max said...

My Christian action-adventure & mystery books wouldn't be classified as urban, but they are written primarily for tween boys.

That's because I grew up hating to read.

Find more information at my author web site http://www.maxbooks.9k.com or my Books for Boys blog http://booksandboys.blogspot.com

Max Elliot Anderson

PatriciaW said...

Wow, I never heard of these books, but they may be right up my son's alley. Thanks!

shelia said...

I'm so glad I checked out this post. I'm putting together a list of suggested reading material for young adults to give out at the summer reading program and I was having a hard time finding books for the young men.

Liz said...

Well, this book would be more for the adults in the crowd! "His Edge" has lots of action, because it's about a civilian test pilot, after his experiences as a WWII fighter pilot. There's also good vs. evil, spiritual values as a basic for living (boy, that's something that doesn't change, whether in the 40s or today). I applaud the way the author examines good versus evil in a spiritual context.