Sunday, November 16, 2008

Interview, Author Dijorn Moss


Today, as we continue the feature on the "Men of Christian" I welcome Urban Christian Books author, Dijorn Moss.

Welcome to Urban Christian Fiction, Dijorn, introduce yourself to my readers.
My name is Dijorn Moss and I am a writer for Urban Christian Books. I love California especially in the summer time. I love to go to movies and read books. If I am not writing then I am probably watching TV with my wife of three years Trinea.

Tell us about your novel, My Father’s House.
My Father’s House is a story about a Pastor who unexpectedly takes over a church and has to negative through financial woes and members who lives are in turmoil.

What inspired you to write this story?
I got sick and tired of seeing stories that only highlights a Pastor’s greed or lust. I have spent a lot of time with my former Pastor, Dr. Oscar Dace and seeing all of the responsibilities of a Pastor, I felt it was incumbent upon me to write a story that gives an intimate look into the life of a Pastor.

What would you like readers to take away from My Father’s House?
To keep God first, so much of our society is engaged in idol worship that if you have anything other than God as your foundation you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Share with us how you began writing and your journey to publication.
An English teacher had me read poems by Langston Hughes and Edgar Allen Poe. I fell in-love with writing and started to write poems. Then I branched into playwriting and I wanted to be the next August Wilson. I came up with the idea for My Father’s House and I was encouraged to turn the story into a novel by my best friend. I enrolled in a novel writing class and while working on my manuscript, my co-worker put me in contact with Urban Christian. I sent my manuscript to Joylynn Jossel and was offered a book deal.

“Making Your Dreams a Reality” is your website slogan and I see you have other writing gifts. Tell us about them and how they tie into your slogan.
I dreamed of writing a play and seeing it performed. I saw that dream come to realty in 2003 with the production of my play the North Train. I dreamed of writing a book and having the book published; I am now living that dream. Finally I dreamed of writing a screenplay and seeing it on the big screen. I look forward to seeing that dream come to pass.

I asked Dijorn soem personal questions and he shared his answers as follows:
Favorite Dessert
: Strawberry cheesecake and peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream.
Favorite Movie: I have so many: Love Jones, With Honors, Shakespeare in-love, Last Samurai and Colored Purple to name a few.
Favorite Bible Story: The story of Joseph teaches so many great lessons. I learned the importance of being careful of you tell your dreams to because may plot against you. I learned that if you have integrity you will always come out on top and how important it is during times of prosperity to save and store away because times of famine will come.
Favorite worship song: I have Kirk Franklin’s The Last Jesus song on repeat. I find that song so powerful because the Bible talks about how we are living epistles and every day we have to walk out the principles that Jesus taught.
If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? Africa, I dream of viewing an African night full of stars and the natural beauty that Africa possesses.
If you could spend an hour with any person, living or deceased, who would it be and why? Barrack Obama. I have read his story and I find his life inspiring.
If you were going to a deserted island and could only take one novel that you didn’t write, what would it be and why? The Idiot by Dostoevsky. He is my favorite writer and the book was inspired by a painting of the crucifixion that Dostoevsky was fascinated by.
Dijorn, what do you know that you know?
That because Jesus lives, the possibilities of what an individual can do in this life is endless.

Thanks so much for visiting Urban Christian Fiction. Please let my readers know how they may contact you.

I can be reached on at my website. http://www.dijornmoss.com/ has all of my contact info. I really enjoyed doing the interview. Thanks for having me.

Dijorn Moss is a graduate of San Jose State. He holds a degree in English. He is the winner of the prestigous crain award for dramatic writing. His play the North train was peoduced at San Jose State, making him the first studnet in over three decades to have a play produced. His second play Mothers to the Struggle enjoyed a stage reading at the National Black Theater Festival in 2005. He is currently working on his next book and resides in long Beach with his wife Trinea.

No comments: