Sunday, June 27, 2010

Holy Rollers by ReShonda Tate Billingsley




About the Book
LOOKING FOR LOVE...
Lifelong friends Coco, Nita, and Audra have spent years looking for love in the arms of flashy pro athletes, hoping to land a baller but ending up with a stream of failed relationships. The beautiful and demure Coco has endured years of physical abuse from her boyfriend, Sonny, while Audra, a single mother, has dated her fair share of cheaters and yearns for a stable companion who will be a father figure to her son. And feisty, seductive Nita is tired of being the million dollar mistress and wants to settle down—if she can find someone worth coming home to.
CHANGING THE GAME...
Now that the women are approaching thirty, they're finding it harder than ever to compete with the pro groupies. Determined to change the game and find some worthwhile men, Audra hatches an outrageous plan. Soon the trio is “holy rolling,” masquerading as God-fearing churchgoers at a local conference for young ministers in the hopes of snagging a prominent pastor. But will their big gamble pay off? Men of the cloth are still just men, after all. As the three friends meet their potential life partners, they will have to decide how far they want to take their holy rollers scheme—each risking heartbreak while taking a chance on finding a reliable, responsible man to love and cherish, flaws and all.
My Review
Get ready for a ride! That’s what I felt I was on as I read this novel and took the journey with these characters.
ReShonda Tate Billingsley’s books just keep getting better and better. I loved her last three novels. The Pastor’s Wife, Can I Get a Witness and The Devil is a Lie were all extremely entertaining, but this book was just the best. For this reviewer, I think it was because the novel addressed issues that are near and dear to me – women wasting themselves on no good men and women who have a good man and “can’t” and “won’t” keep him! Jeez, enough of it already.  I picked up a subtle message about pre-marital sex in the story as well.  Those who were giving the milk away just got milked.
Holy Rollers is a fresh, original story. Seriously, pro-athlete groupies who restructure their game plan – reminds me of change management class I took in grad school.  The story was great. I loved the character CoCo, felt sorry for that poor pitiful Audra and patiently waited for Nita to ______ , well, I won’t give it away. The women were realistic, each one representing some woman I know or have know, or dare I admit, have been. LOL.  (In a past life of course.) It was a fun read. ReShonda was on her game, using her talent for making her readers laugh out loud. Don’t pass this by, it’s at the top of my list of great summer reads and a book I recommend for women of all ages.
Reviewed by Rhonda McKnight

Click here to read an Excerpt and here to find out about ReShonda's cool contest for Book Clubs!
You can sign up for ReShonda's newsletter and learn more about her at www.reshondatatebillingsley.com
Reviewed by Rhonda McKnight
An Advance Review Copy of this book was provided by the publisher.


No comments: